Provincial Government Partners with Bell to Expand Cellular Service

Government News Release

As a result of government’s commitment to enhancing cellular service in the province, funding has been approved under Phase II of the call for proposals to support a project between Bell Canada and 11 communities to establish or enhance cellular service.

This funding enables the advanced deployment of Bell’s LTE broadband wireless technology in the communities of Bay de Verde, Burin, Burlington, Conche, Cow Head, Cox’s Cove, Forteau, Hampden, McIvers, Trout River and Winterton. The communities will work with Bell to finalize agreements.

This initiative aims to facilitate new investments in the province’s cellular service infrastructure to improve the business case for telecommunications carriers to expand coverage and provide service to communities that are currently unserved. The Provincial Government is contributing over $875,000 in this phase, with additional investments of $2,159,588 from Bell and $465,826 from the community partners.

As part of the Regional Development Fund, the Provincial Government issued a call for proposals for a cost-shared cellular service pilot initiative, contributing up to a maximum of 25 per cent of project costs towards cellular coverage infrastructure upgrades. The remaining 75 per cent is to be provided by the service provider, in partnership with municipalities, private ventures, co-operatives, social enterprises and/or regional government partnerships.

The first call for proposals resulted in the Provincial Government contributing nearly $1.5 million to 10 cost-shared agreements, leveraging over $4.4 million from partners.

Quotes
“Living in this province, we all know the importance of connectivity and how vital cell service is to our everyday needs. Through this partnership, we continue to make improvements in cell service infrastructure throughout Newfoundland and Labrador. This investment supports residents living in these communities, new and existing businesses and community growth.”
Honourable Andrew Parsons
Minister of Industry, Energy and Technology

“Always focused on advancing how Canadians connect with each other and the world, Bell is proud to partner with the Provincial Government and communities in Newfoundland and Labrador to expand access to our award-winning LTE wireless network and the social and economic benefits of broadband mobile connectivity.”
Glen LeBlanc
Bell Canada’s Chief Financial Officer and Vice Chair, Atlantic

– 30 –

Learn more

Follow us on Twitter @GovNL and @IET_GovNL

Follow us on Facebook

Media contacts
Eric Humber
Industry, Energy and Technology
709-729-4819, 725-9655
erichumber@gov.nl.ca

Isabelle Boulet
Bell Canada
506-457-5554
isabelle.boulet@bellaliant.ca

Source Article from https://www.gov.nl.ca/releases/2021/iet/0113n07/
Provincial Government Partners with Bell to Expand Cellular Service

Source: https://www.gov.nl.ca/releases/2021/iet/0113n07/
Aggregated from: News Releases

Leave a Reply