Murder charge dropped against Gilbert Budgell, who police say killed home intruder

Gilbert Budgell, a Botwood homeowner who police say shot and killed a man who was invading his home, will not face trial for murder charges.

Crown attorneys have decided not to proceed with a second-degree murder charge against Budgell, citing a low likelihood of securing a conviction.

The charges were formally withdrawn Thursday morning in provincial court in Grand Falls-Windsor, where a preliminary inquiry was set to begin.

Crown attorney Karen O’Reilly said self-defence was always a “live issue that we needed to consider” in the case.

“What we’ve determined is that there is no reasonable likelihood of conviction, that we wouldn’t be able to prove that it wasn’t self defence,” she told reporters after the short hearing.

Two men entered Budgell’s home on April 9, 2016 in what police described as a home invasion.

Police said one of the men was shot and beaten, and eventually died of blunt force trauma to the head, according to O’Reilly. The other man ran away. 

Deceased was friend of Budgell

According to Bob Buckingham, the lawyer representing Budgell in the case, the man who died was a friend.

“They had known each other for quite some time, and the deceased person had often been to my client’s house and had been invited in as a friend,” Buckingham said.

Murder charge dropped against Gilbert Budgell, who police say killed home intruder

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/murder-charge-gilbert-budgell-dropped-1.4351371?cmp=rss
Aggregated from: CBC | Newfoundland and Labrador News

Leave a Reply