15 new cases of COVID-19 in N.L., total now 82

Newfoundland and Labrador has 15 new cases of COVID-19 since Wednesday, bringing the province’s total to 82, said Dr. Janice Fitzgerald, the province’s chief medical officer of health on Thursday.

All new cases are within the Eastern Health region, said Fitzgerald.

The Eastern Health region accounts for 76 cases, two are in Central Health, one is in Western Health, and three are in Labrador-Grenfell Health. Everyone is recovering at home, said Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald said the ages of patients range from eight to 80, with a median age of 55.

Seven patients are under 19 years old, nine are between 20 and 39 years old, 12 are between 40 and 49 years old, 21 between 50 and 59 years old, 15 are between 60 and 69 years old, and 18 are older than 70.

“How we act now affects how this will unfold in our province,” Fitzgerald said. “This is our new reality and it won’t be over by Easter.”

Health Minister John Haggie provided further detail on health-care workers who have been affected by the virus.

Haggie said 60 people at Eastern Health, in a variety of occupations, are currently at home in isolation. Nine of them have tested positive.

The health minister said most of those cases are connected to a funeral at Caul’s Funeral Home in St. John’s.

“These staff are currently well or experiencing mild symptoms if symptomatic. They are being managed at home and are being followed by public health [officials],” he said.

Premier Dwight Ball said the Canada Post facility on Kenmount Road remains shut down until further notice after one employee tested positive for COVID-19.

Ball said provisional cheques, such as for pension and income support, will be delivered to post offices outside St. John’s.

“We’ll make provisions to make sure we get those cheques in your hands,” Ball said.

This is a breaking news update. A previous version of this story is below.

The chief medical officer will giver her daily update on COVID-19 and its impacts in Newfoundland and Labrador at 2:30 p.m. NT Thursday. 

Dr. Janice Fitzgerald will be delivering her update at Confederation Building while a special sitting of the nearby House of Assembly is underway to discuss urgent issues related to the virus, including borrowing money, provirding elief for renters and other measures. 

As of Wednesday afternoon’s briefing, there were 67 cases of COVID-19 in Newfoundland and Labrador, and the ages of people affected range from 8 to 78. There were 32 new cases added within a 24-hour period. 

There are now cases in all four of the province’s health authority regions. As of Wednesday, none of the cases, has required hospitalization.

Fitzgerald said 44 of the presumptive cases in the Eastern Health region are tied to people who were at a wake at Caul’s Funeral Home in St. John’s last week.

She said the initial case has not been identified at this point, and it does not appear anyone was in violation of the province’s stay-home orders at the time.

For its part, an official with Caul’s said no staff have so far tested positive for COVID-19, but the results for some people are still pending.

The funeral home remains closed at this time. 

As well, Fitzgerald said the lab within Eastern Health has now been accredited to confirm presumptive positive cases. That means test samples will no longer be required to be sent to the national lab in Winnipeg. 

Read more stories from CBC Newfoundland and Labrador

 

15 new cases of COVID-19 in N.L., total now 82

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/covid-newfoundland-thursday-march-26-1.5510774?cmp=rss
Aggregated from: CBC | Newfoundland and Labrador News

Leave a Reply